geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From <Valeri.Atamani...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: Clustering - JGroups issues and others
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:26:17 GMT
Hello

My concern regarding the clustering is that the mechanism itself is more
general, then the session replication only. (Un-)fortunately HTTP(Web)
is not the only interface in the cluster. From our perspective all
clustered facilities should base on the same mechanism in the solution,
as otherwise the behaviour of the system is hardly predictable. So, if
we base some application/service distribution model based on assumption
that sub-partitioning is possible, we may end up with interesting (from
technical perspective) problems regarding multiple services instead of a
single one reporting controversal values.

In our case the fragmentation of the cluster would lead to the fact,
that all fragments will try to reboot all other fragments using
management interfaces :) A true nightmare...

Besides, it is much easier to maintain/predict the cluster behaviour
when the node considered active only when it can reliably reach certain
(central) cluster network service. This is probably different from
traditional approach, but from our perspective it is better to loose all
the service, then to get something unpredictable. The reason is that in
both cases it is reported as a system outage, but in the second one it
is much more difficult to detect/analyse/fix.

-valeri