geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:53:38 GMT

On Oct 28, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to have a regular weekly
>> conference call for those on the dev list.  It would not be
>> mandatory at
>> all but we could all put it on our calendars and use it as a time to
>> talk over issues rather than rely totally on e-mail.  We'd get
>> someone
>> to take notes and post them to the dev list and solicit agenda items
>> from there as well.
>>

> A very strong -1.  This discriminates against and disenfranchises
> those who can't make it for whatever reason, not least those in
> timezones far removed from the majority.  And it leaves no trace
> other than hearsay.
>
> IRC is frowned upon as a formal discussion mechanism for the
> same reason, although it's easier to log.  Nevertheless,
> discussions about development are supposed to happen in the
> wide-open, where other developers *and non-developers* can
> see them now and in the future.  I.e., email.
>
> This has come up repeatedly in the last several years, and
> the conclusion has always been the same: the convenience
> of the few never dominates the visibility to the many.
>
> There are exceptional circumstances, such as the ApacheCon
> hackathons, but they a infrequent and the attendees are
> typically expected to recap any proposals in front of the
> mailing list before anything happens.
>
> As an occasional way to get through a lot quickly it's
> acceptable; as an institutionalised medium, -1.

Seems fair, IMHO.  Not a real big fan of being on con-calls any kind,
so I'm biased....

If we had two or three (with minutes posted to dev@) in the weeks
leading up to the big 1.0 we want to get out by ApacheCon and didn't
use that crutch again for a long while, certainly not as a regular
release practice, would that kind of fit the pragmatic profile?

If not, I'm happy to let it drop.

-David