geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Confluence - again (was Re: Applications migration)
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:56:55 GMT
On Oct 11, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:

>>> I think the move to confluence is an excellent idea and we
>>> should  definitely start discussing this. Looking at the current
>>> wiki, I  think there is a lot of great but unorganized
>>> information.  Since  M5 has now been released we expect and
>>> enormous growth in "users"  and so I think we are are now at a
>>> point where it would be good to  start focusing on the
>>> organization and presentation of the wiki and  the move to
>>> confluence would be a good starting point to be able to  do so.
>>>

>> We have a confluence space if we want to start using it.  http://
>> opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO
>> Here is an example of what we could do with it   http://
>> opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Unassigned
>> -David
>>

> Humm... from discussions over on infrastructure I see Leo and Noel
> have some concerns about maintaining a confluence install on
> apache.org. Probably nothing that couldn't be solved by a few
> volunteers.
[...]
> Please don't send us down the path of hosting ASF project doc on
> non-ASF infrastructure. Nothing good can come from that exercise.

This is an old debate.  Confluence is somewhat high maintenance and
much of the infrastructure team remains unconvinced it's worth the
trouble.  The first time this idea came up on the Geronimo dev lists,
I kept in touch with the infrastructure guys that posted and emailed
them every couple months about it.  This is the compromise we reached.

It's a confluence install hosted and maintained by the confluence
guys solely for use by the ASF and administered by members of the
ASF.  Seems to me to be an acceptable middle ground for now.

-David