geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generic Logo Contest Guidelines
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 17:03:58 GMT

On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:54 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I see Dain's point and I think that we do need to clarify if the
> PRC's guidelines are suggestions or hard rules that they have been
> empowered by the corporation to enforce.  We need to clarify this
> because it seems that the community really likes the contentious
> logo; they are aware of other's opinions and still they cling to
> their choice.

that's fine.  Then we run it by the PRC and if they like it, it's fine.

> If these guidelines are suggestions then let's move on and install
> our new, butt ugly, logo.  ;)  The community mandate is clear.  If
> these guidelines are hard rules that the PRC has been empowered by
> the corporation to enforce, then more discussion needs to be take
> place.

This is why I suggested we get the guidelines from the PRC, winnow
down the set, and let the community freely decide then.

> We are at a fork in the road and we, the community, need to clearly
> understand what the situation is.

Where is the question?  Are we debating :

a) if the PRC has the right to make such guidelines?

b) if they are guidelines or rules?

c) if we are choosing to ignore the guidelines for the logo that
people are voting for?

d) if it's smart for us to ignore the spirit of the idea behind the
guidelines?

I think that we are behind the count here, so to speak, and would be
well served by being extra careful.

geir

geirm@apache.org