geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The autodeploy feature in Geronimo
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:50:46 GMT

On Oct 24, 2005, at 1:05 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> How about if we provide a "hot deploy" location that acts as an
> "addition/over-ride" location much the same as adding a library
> earlier in a path.  I tend to think of this "hot deploy" activity
> as a developer activity and so I think most folks running a
> production server would follow the traditional deploy, undeploy,
> redeploy mechanics.  Hot-deploy would most likely be used
> exclusively in development or to "patch" a critical problem with a
> temporary fix.

I only think of hot-deploy as a developer activity, and personally
would turn it off in production.

I also don't think that with a sane deployer infrastructure and tool,
that this has to be part of the core server.

Rather, I see it as an additional tool that you can use if you choose
- for example a little webapp that you deploy to your development
server that does this for you - scans the directory and then just
uses the standard deployment API to get 'r done.  It could have it's
own web-based UI that you could use to define the deployment
directory, to pause it, to do whateveer...

geir

geirm@apache.org