geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generic Logo Contest Guidelines
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:47:05 GMT

On Oct 8, 2005, at 1:33 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> Rather than co-located next to Stepford, we are located *in* the
>> Apache Software Foundation, and this is an *Apache* project.
>> Therefore, we shall continue to work within the guidelines set by
>> the ASF.
>>
>> If there are questions and concerns about the guidelines or
>> specific logos, that is fair room for discussion.  Rejecting the
>> PRCs guidelines out of hand?  Not so much...
>>

> I don't want to diminish the work of the PRC in any way, but I
> would like to clarify exactly what the "guidelines" are.  Are these
> official requirements from the Apache Board of Directors or just
> the opinion of the PRC?

I believe the PRC is a board committee, authorized to make decisions
on behalf of the foundation regarding PR issues.

>   From my understanding of the bylaws, the Geronimo PMC has the
> right to choose a logo "subject to the direction of the Board of
> Directors", so if the guidelines are simply a suggested "best
> practices" from the PRC and not a requirement from the Board, the
> Geronimo PMC would have the right to create it's own guidelines
> possibly based on the PRC guidelines.

Lets cut to the root of it - Is your problem with having to work
within the guidelines from the PRC, or is there some particular
problem with the guidelines themselves?  I'm sure that if it's the
latter, any reasonable suggestion, change or addition will be welcomed.

> Out of curiosity, if the guidelines are actually requirements, are
> existing logos subject to the requirements or are they
> grandfathered in?

I'm assuming that they are grandfathered in, but I'm not really
worried about it.

geirm@apache.org