geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <>
Subject Re: Consolidating the community
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:30:26 GMT
Hi John,

On Oct 29, 2005, at 11:54 PM, John Sisson wrote:

> Sounds like a great idea.
> OpenEJB, TranQL, ActiveMQ would be great to have as part of the
> community.
> I noticed that Xbean was suggested.  How is Xbean currently related
> to Geronimo?  Is this the Spring based project with a new
> name ( now takes me to the Codehaus main page)?  If
> so, what are the pros and cons to moving to this?

xbean is what activemq 4.x and servicemix 2.x are using for wiring up
it's components.  I think the the openejb folks are also jumping on
and starting to use it too.  Seems like Dan from xfire, has started
to also drive requirements into so I guess xfire may start using it
soon too.

> Does OSGi compete with/overlap Xbean functionality? If so is it
> premature to consider Xbean before we have considered OSGi?

I've got a feeling it's complimentary.  ActiveMQ and servicemix only
uses xbean for configuration wiring.  The one thing I'm keeping an
eye on OSGi is for it's classpath/native library management (would
come in handy for servicemix).

> I did a search for xbean on the Geronimo dev mailing list and
> haven't found anything, except for references to XMLBeans.
> XMLBeans jars are named xbean-2.x.x AFAIK.
> Thanks,
> John
> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Why not consolidate the entire Geronimo community, or as much as
>> possible, into the Geronimo project itself?
>> I bounced this idea off a few people and the feedback I got was
>> very  positive.  This idea keeps popping up and before it gets to
>> far along  I want to bring it to the dev list.
>> One thing you should really think about is this requires a big
>> commitment from the Geronimo community.  There are a lot of
>> projects,  code and committers that we will need to integrate into
>> our  community.  Most of the projects will have to go through
>> incubation,  which as you all know is not easy.  On the positive
>> side, we already  work closely with these projects, and are very
>> familiar with the  communities and code.
>> As you can tell, I'm very excited about this.  What do you
>> think?   Who would want to come?
>> -dain

View raw message