geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The autodeploy feature in Geronimo
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:32:32 GMT
On 10/24/05, Jeff Genender <jgenender@savoirtech.com> wrote:

> >> I think this may be somewhat confusing.  I think when dropping in  the
> >> directory, it should should deploy...then be immediately  removed from
> >> the directory.
> >

> > Eeek.  I think you'd want it to remain - helps you figure out what
> > exactly has been deployed.  IOW you can always look in the dir to see
> > what is supposedly running...
>
> Not necessarily...I think keeping the config store aligned with what is
> in this directory will cause more headaches than not.  What if the
> deployment fails?  Then what you have in config store will not match
> this directory.  This is the problem in having 2 deployment areas.  I
> really think this needs to be thought through.

How about a deploy dir and if any deployments fail they get moved into
a dir inside the deploy dir named failed (deploy/failed)?

I agree this is very unsophisticated but it's also not our call on
*why* someone should or shouldn't do something. I have to believe that
there must be some way to accomplish this and simply bypass the
sophistication of the jsr-88 contracts (i.e., if you want jsr-88 style
of state tracking then use the deploy tool).

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/