geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Remote Deployment
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:55:18 GMT
So I think the strategy for remote deployment is to create a servlet
to accept file uploads, so we can stream the application/module
archive to the servlet and it will save it to the server filesystem,
and then we can issue the normal commands where the server expects the
files to be on the local filesystem.

The only question then is how the deploy tool should locate the servlet.

We now have the capability to construct an accurate URL to a web
application (no matter how many containers are running).  I assume
we'd put this servlet in the console web app for now, rather than
create a whole new web app just for supporting remote deployment.

Which makes the question, how can the server-side of the JSR-88
plumbing figure out which module contains the/a running console?

I'm thinking of doing something cheesy, like adding an empty GBean to
the console module, and then having the JSR-88 plumbing do a gbean
query to locate that GBean, then from there use the dependency manager
to figure out what Configuration it's in, and use that to find the web
module and construct the URL.

Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks,
    Aaron