geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Generic Logo Contest Guidelines
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:59:46 GMT
On Oct 8, 2005, at 8:47 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Lets cut to the root of it - Is your problem with having to work
> within the guidelines from the PRC, or is there some particular
> problem with the guidelines themselves?  I'm sure that if it's the
> latter, any reasonable suggestion, change or addition will be
> welcomed.

Well cutting to the chase, I do have a problem with the guidelines.
Everyone has an opinion on the logo, but the opinion of the folks
involved in the PRC seem to cary veto power.  It is clear that the
PRC is simply trying to avoid potential future problems, and I
believe that it is important for the members of the Geronimo
community to hear the concerns of the PRC.  I expect the Geronimo
community should take this into account when selecting a logo, but I
don't think that anyone other then the Geronimo community should be
choosing the logo.

The big problem here is the most popular logo is #11, and there are a
few outsiders that don't like this.  Instead of them coming to the
community and trying to convince the community that this is a bad
choice, the PRC simply issues a mandate, and that grates on me.  I
say, if you want to be involved in the Geronimo logo process come
here and discuss it, otherwise keep your opinions to your self.

If this is an official mandate of the board then we must accept it,
but I'm not happy about it, which is why I feel it is critical to
determine if this is a mandate of the board.  Did the board give the
PRC rule making authority over all imagery at Apache?  Did the board
specifically direct the PRC to create logo guidelines?  Has the Board
officially accepted these guidelines or is this still a rough draft?
I personally will be more comfortable if we knew exactly where these
guidelines stand within Apache.

BTW, I personally think #11 is tacky, but not offensive, and am fine
to have it in the contest, but personally #9 to win.

>> Out of curiosity, if the guidelines are actually requirements, are
>> existing logos subject to the requirements or are they
>> grandfathered in?
>
> I'm assuming that they are grandfathered in, but I'm not really
> worried about it.

I am interested because if they intend to force other projects to
change their logos, then we should just sit back and wait for the
guidelines to change :)

-dain