geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:02:12 GMT
On Oct 29, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>

>> I think I was the only one strongly opposed, and I was
>> expressing my opinion based on experience.  Anything that
>> excludes people as a matter of principle isn't good.  I
>> think making it an institutional thing is a really bad
>> idea.  If everyone else thinks it's grand, go ahead --
>> but review occasionally to make sure everyone still
>> feels that way as new people join the list. :-)
>>

> Argh.  It's been pointed out to me that I'm coming
> across as a +5 blanket of wetness.  Please accept
> my apologies.  It's something I feel strongly about,
> so I'm expressing myself strongly -- but I'm just one person.

I don't want to sound patronizing, but that's a really impressive
response.

I've always found it really hard to separate information into what I
call the three "P"s of Apache: Policy, Precedent, Preference.
Answers like this really help.  Plus, I think it's healthy to
encourage a certain amount of experimentation when trying to feel
your way around the community.  Just cause something didn't work for
someone else, doesn't mean it won't work for anyone.  If it doesn't,
there is a certain value to learning things first-hand.

I know you're not advocating, but I appreciate the rope :)

-David