geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: partial revert on schema versioning changes??
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:45:22 GMT

On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> Are applications containing plans that reference the old namespace
> still supported since the schema versioning changes went in?
>
> When versioning the schemas, shouldn't just renaming the file and
> setting the version attribute for the schema be all that is
> necessary?.  Why was it necessary for all the uris to change as well
> to include the "-1.0" suffix?  Could we remove this in HEAD?

I don't think so.  I think we need schema namespaces that include the
version information in some form.

> I bring this up (a little late) because tooling build is broken at the
> moment due to these uri name changes.  EMF uses the namespace uri to
> generate the package names for the model.  EMF doesn't do a great job
> of processing uri's containing non alpha or numeric characters and now
> all the generated packaged names contain segments such as "_1". All
> the code that reference this generated model code no longer compile
> due to these package renames.  Also there are some other problems,
> such as the generated class names for some of the EMF specific classes
> aren't named correctly to convention thus making it very error prone
> and difficult to code against.

XMLBeans solves this problem with a configuration file that lets you
map namespaces to packages.  An example:

<xb:config xmlns:xb="http://www.bea.com/2002/09/xbean/config"

     <xb:namespace
uri="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/connector-1.0">
         <xb:package>org.apache.geronimo.xbeans.geronimo</xb:package>
         <xb:prefix>Ger</xb:prefix>
     </xb:namespace>

</xb:config>

I think namespaces with non-alpha characters are a fact of life and EMF
should support them.

> As a temporary solution, I will probably need to branch off for m5,
> and do one of several workarounds, one of which is to have hand
> modified versions of the schema's and feed those to EMF rather then
> the original versioned ones.  (As long as the old uris are still
> supported). If not then, I'll have to take a much more painful
> approach.  Either way, would it be possible to revert back to the
> original uri's in HEAD?

I would rather not.  I think that using de-versioned copies of the
schemas is your best bet for now, but I really think the only
reasonable long term solution is to make EMF more flexible.

thanks
david jencks