geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Comments regarding Geronimo on HOWL project page http://howl.objectweb.org/
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:40:15 GMT

On Oct 26, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 10/23/05, sissonj@insession.com <sissonj@insession.com> wrote:
>>
>> The HOWL project page says:
>>
>>     The  Apache Geronimo  project has plans to integrate JOTM, and has
>> integrated the HOWL logger with an interim transaction manager that
>> is being
>> used until JOTM recovery functionality is available.
>>
>> Have plans changed? If so, we should ask that this be updated to
>> reflect
>> reality so people are not mislead.
>
> FWIW, I have an interest in getting JOTM integrated. Upon inquiring
> about this with David Jencks, he indicated that the Geronimo tx
> manager is pretty tightly integrated with the connector module. I have
> no idea what it will take to extricate the two as I haven't been able
> to make the time lately to look into this task. Do you have an
> interest in JOTM integration with Geronimo, John?

I believe integrating JOTM will require a lot of discussion with the
JOTM guys, and so far I haven't managed to corner them in person at
conferences.

I haven't looked at JOTM in quite a while but doubt this aspect has
changed much.

The basic problem is that there is no defined interface between the
transaction manager and the connector module.  Something has to keep
track of which managed connections are associated with which
transactions.  We do this primarily in the connector module whereas
IIUC JOTM does this right in JOTM.  I think this is kind of an
architectural mistake, but haven't had a chance to get together and
discuss it in detail.

I'll certainly be free with my opinions if anyone wants to look into
this further :-)

thanks
david jencks