geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Trifork CORBA
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:16:10 GMT
At 04:26 PM 10/26/2005, Rick McGuire wrote:
>The most critical need right now is to have a replacement to the Sun
>ORB that would allow portability to other JVM impelementations.  The
>lack of a full-function compliant ORB is the main factor locking
>Geronimo in to the Sun 1.4.2 JVM.
>I think the general view of the CORBA support is that of a
>"necessary evil".  It is required for J2EE certifcation, but is not
>generally seen as critical to most Geronimo deployments.  My
>personal view of the priorities is "get it working, get it
>portable".  Issues such as additional uses or higher peformance are
>things to consider after the primary requirements are fullfilled.

Can I ask why portability is critical? Most VM's (with one notable
exception) use the Sun ORB so depending on it doesn't seem such a big
deal to me, especially if its a necessary evil. I agree support for
J2SE 5.0 is essential, but its pretty easy to write code that
supports both 1.4 and 5.0 ORBs.

andy