geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] -- M5 release -- (Was Re: 1.0-M5 candidate build)
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:42:03 GMT

On Oct 2, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Sorry, I thought you had figured out the installer issue.  We should
> certainly be able to build it from the same files as we distribute
> normally.  Where does it stand now?  I can tweak it if you've run out
> of energy for it.
>
> The installer also has a scripted/automated install process, which
> should address unpacking/running to get something to test.

I think there are a couple of issues:
1. It is a really lot of work to run the tck, and I'm not up for doing
it again for a while.  I would prefer to find a way to claim that the
geronimo installer is covered by the tests run on the zip distro.  I
would be quite happy claiming this if the installer was built by
unpacking the zip into the installer directory rather than copying
all/most of the files.  It's probably fine if we build the installer
using the same assembly directory, but I'd like some other opinions on
this.

2. Related to the above, we should build the installer on the same
assembly module copy as the zip.  That's one of David Blevin's
machines, so he should do it.

> Also, if we can distribute our own Axis, I'm sure we can distribute
> our own IzPack.  But really, I don't think there's a compelling need
> to, since no one needs IzPack to install or run the product.  (Also,
> you say you couldn't get a copy for yourself, but that's only because
> the download was troublesome for you, right?  If I had a nickel for
> every time ibiblio crapped out... :)

Ibiblio sometimes has problems, but it is a well known well advertised
site with automated downloads and usually works fine.  Stuff available
from it has at least theoretically been officially released by its
authors.  The current version of izpack is on a secret site that you
need a password for and that in my experience has not yet worked.  It
has not been officially released and I have no idea how it was built.
I'm not sure how much of an issue I have with this for M5 but I really
don't want to continue this state of affairs through the next release.
I think izpack has to be run from maven.

Anyone else have an opinion?

thanks
david jencks