geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The autodeploy feature in Geronimo
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:24:58 GMT

On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Oct 24, 2005, at 1:05 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>

>>> How about if we provide a "hot deploy" location that acts as an
>>> "addition/over-ride" location much the same as adding a library
>>> earlier in a path.  I tend to think of this "hot deploy" activity
>>> as a developer activity and so I think most folks running a
>>> production server would follow the traditional deploy, undeploy,
>>> redeploy mechanics.  Hot-deploy would most likely be used
>>> exclusively in development or to "patch" a critical problem with
>>> a temporary fix.
>>>
>> I only think of hot-deploy as a developer activity, and personally
>> would turn it off in production.
>>

> Yes, this would definately not be a production tool.  For now I
> really think we just need something VERY simple.  Like David J.
> said, lets simply restrict the deployables to archives containing
> plans.  This would eliminate unncessary complexity until further
> thought can be put into a solution that allows additional
> capability and be able to properly handle these scenarios.  We can
> make this as simple as we want or as complex as we want.  Lets
> start with something simple for now :)

Fine.  But I don't think we need to think of this as being a part of
the core geronimo server.  Lets start it as a simple tool in devutils
that someone can choose to use...

I think that's part of the problem here - we're thinking too deeply.
Lets just throw together a little webapp that hosts this
functionality.  Lets see how it works.

I think I'll go start this now in devutils sandbox or something :)

geir

geirm@apache.org