geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: More port conflicts
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:55:08 GMT

On Oct 11, 2005, at 2:18 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> Quite frankly, I'm not sure I see the value of having multiple web
> containers simultaneously active within geronimo.  Has anyone heard of
> a  use case or user that is asking for this support?

I don't think there is any practical use for it outside of
experimenting with both web containers at once.  It also makes running
the tck much easier.

>   IMHO, I suspect the vast majority of users will choose a single web
> container (at build or install time) and stick with it.  If future
> requirements dictate a switch to a different container, then laying
> down a new installation doesn't seem unreasonable.  In fact, Geronimo
> doesn't currently even support incremental maintenance.  I would think
> the use case for non-destructive upgrade would be much more prevalent
> than changing internal components on the fly.
>
> While simultaneous active web containers would be a technical feat,
> I'm really not sure the overhead and added confusion to users are
> worth the payoff..  My $.02

I prefer to keep this as standard at this point to ensure that our
architecture remains clean enough to support it.  I look forward to the
installer being sophisticated enough to be able to include the correct
components for only one web container.  At the moment, it includes all
components and only starts selected ones.

thanks
david jencks