geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Weekly conference call - thoughts
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:08:14 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:
> I have to say I am opposed as well.  IMHO a telecon is not fair to those
> who live in places where the time is not convenient.  There are also
> folks who are contributors who may not be able to engage in a such a
> call because their jobs do not allow them to take part (rules using
> phones, job duties, etc).
>
> Although this may be an additional way to communicate with the
> community, many folks may not have the opportunity to participate, and I
> am not sure that it is community oriented.

Jeff, your right, conference calls are not community oriented, and that's the main problem,
imho. Apache !=
Eclipse and you'll find most folks in the Apache community would agree.

ApacheCon is coming up in december; that's a great opportunity to host a f2f hack-a-thon.
You'll get a little
bit done but build some very good working relationships going forward. Once you meet someone
face to face,
it's a bit more difficult to forget there's a real person behind the keyboard and that tends
to make on-list
interactions a bit more civil.

> With our lists, there is no
> barrier to engaging and contribution.