geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Applications directory structure
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:15:06 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2005, at 3:56 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:
>
>> There have been several previous conversations regarding the
>> structure of the geronimo/applications directory. It seems that  there
>> should be some way to differentiate the various categories of
>> applications?
>>
>> Perhaps something like:
>>
>> geronimo/applications/samples/ would contain:
>> -demo
>> -servlets-examples
>> -jsp-examples
>> -magicGball
>> -dayTrader
>> -bigPetEJBSess
>> -petStore
>

> Which directory do you mean?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk/applications/samples
>
> or
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/applications/samples
>
> I would prefer that the samples be outside located off of the  geronimo
> svn root and not in trunk.  This will allow them to be  developed and
> released independently of the mail line server.

A few points/questions..

I suspect we will want to pull a few of the samples (servlets-examples,
jsp-examples, ejb-examples) into the generated G images (definitely into
the installer as selectable options and arguably into the zipped binary
images).  This means that the main G tree will have dependencies on
things that are now outside of main trunk (geronimo/trunk).  Will the
restructure somehow address getting them pulled into the main G
distributions?  Does this imply that developers need to also download
the samples source when doing a build of the main trunk?  Or is the
assumption that full builds require the full geronimo root checkout?
Perhaps we move a few select select samples (servlets-examples,
jsp-examples, ejb-examples)into the main trunk and leave the others
outside.

In a separate thread you suggested versioning the samples.. Are you
suggesting versioning the individual samples?  Or are you saying that
the group of samples would be versioned as applicable to a specific G
release?

>> geronimo/applications/system would contain:
>> -console*
>> -jmxdebug
>> -uddi-server
>> -welcome
>

> I was thinking more along the lines of
>
> geronimo/trunk/applications/console-${part} --> geronimo/trunk/
> console/${part}
> geronimo/trunk/applications/welcome         --> geronimo/trunk/ welcome
> (not sure... is this the tomcat/jetty welcome app?)
> geronimo/trunk/applications/uddi-server     --> geronimo/applications/
> uddi-server
> geronimo/trunk/applications/jmxdebug        --> geronimo/sandbox/
> jmxdebug/trunk  (I think this need more work or we should simply drop  it)

Should we consider putting these applications under a common directory
(e.g. system) that groups them and signifies their strong ties to the G
system?

Also, the same point as above applies about the main tree build
dependency on the system applications.  I see you included console and
welcome in the trunk.  I suspect uddi-server and jmxdebug also belong in
  trunk as they are likely part of the default binary distribution.  I
did  hear that the jmxdebug app is being reworked..