geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Wiki reorganization proposal
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:52:46 GMT
Hi All,
Independently of whether we will ever move wiki to confluence or not
(there is a lot of discussion on this) still the Apache wiki needs some
serious reorganization today.

I think it should be restructured into something easier to browse,
making a stronger focus on the Geronimo documentation. We could have
sections at the bottom (sort of Appendixes) for all non-documentation
related topics (people, contests, etc).

This is the content as it is today:

About
Logo Contest
Downloads
Documentation
Mailing Lists
Issue Tracking
Related Sites
Project Status & Management
Developer Information
ObjectWeb Collaboration
People
Wiki Sand Box

Most of this information is either redundant on the geronimo.apache.org
front page or not relevant (like "Related sites").

My suggestion is to provide a logical flow, from "the generic" to "the
specific". Start with a "Project overview", then go with the  "Geronimo
architecture" and continue with a breakdown of that architecture, ...

The structure I propose may look like a TOC for a book but, dreaming
about a perfect world, it would be great if Geronimo can have a sound
starting point for our documentation. I see other wiki-like sites and
are a lot more organized.

Here is my proposed content for the wiki:

- Apache Geronimo project overview
   - About ASF
   - Licensing

- Architecture
   - GBeans
   - Geronimo kernel
   - Naming
   - Tomcat
   - Jetty
   - Derby
   - Axis
   - TranQL
   - OpenEJB
   - MX4J
   - ActiveMQ
   - ApacheDS
   - ...

- Installation
   - Platforms supported
   - Hardware and software prerequisites
   - Getting the source code
   - Build from the source
   - Installation

- Administration
   - Tools
     start and stop services/servers, deployer.jar, etc
   - Geronimo Web Console
   - Configure resources
     - JavaMail
     - Database
     - ...
   - Logging
   - Backup and recovery
   - Maintenance

- Development
   - Eclipse tools
   - Simple servlet and JSP applications
   - Web applications
   - EJB applications
   - Security applications
   - Web services applications
   - Client applications
   - ...

- Deployment
   - Deployer tool
   - Deployment plans
   - Deploying applications
   - Deploying configurations/resources

- Security
   - Implementation overview
   - Authentication
   - Authorization
   - Security modules
   - Security realms
   - Enabling SSL
   - Programatic security
     - Enabling security for applications
   - LDAP

- Applications migration

- Performance and high availability
   - Scalability
   - Clustering

- Hints and Tips

- Troubleshooting

- Sample applications

- Other interesting resources
   - Wiki SandBox
   - People

I know I'm missing a lot but still wanted to give this first step.

I'm sure with a better structure we can get more people easily invovled
on both, producing and consuming, documentation.

Thank you all.

Cheers!
Hernan