geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trifork CORBA
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:26:42 GMT
Calvin Austin wrote:

> Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> Andy Piper wrote:

>>> Can I ask why portability is critical? Most VM's (with one notable
>>> exception) use the Sun ORB so depending on it doesn't seem such a
>>> big deal to me, especially if its a necessary evil. I agree support
>>> for J2SE 5.0 is essential, but its pretty easy to write code that
>>> supports both 1.4 and 5.0 ORBs.
>>

>> Actually, then don't.  The IBM JVM certainly doesn't, and I don't
>> believe JRocket does either.  And it is not particularly easy to
>> write code code that supports both 1.4 and 5.0 Sun ORBs because of
>> difficulties hooking in the SSL support.  You also run into issues
>> trying to build the code, since for any given JVM, only one of the
>> versions of the ORB adaptors will compile correctly.
>>

> Technically the J2SE 5.0 reference ORB was supposed to be portable and
> interoperable and pluggable as Sun uses a modified version of that ORB
> for its own products. I've tried to forget the headaches we had with
> CORBA experience with JDK 5.0 but if there is anything I can do to
> make the Geronimo completely work with JDK 5.0 I'm all ears

The real challenge with Geronimo was enabling the ORB to use an SSL
transport.  With the 1.4.2 version, this could only be done by
using/referencing Sun implementation classes.  Most of those classes
have been renamed to other packages (many with the word "legacy" in the
package name), and some don't exist in any form.  If the 5.0 ORB has
portable interfaces for hooking in SSL, writing the appropriate adaptors
would be an interesting exercise.  I've got a pretty good understanding
of how the 1.4.2 ORB is hooked in, if you need assistance understanding
what it's doing.