geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Calvin Austin <caus...@spikesource.com>
Subject Re: Trifork CORBA
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:09:22 GMT
Rick McGuire wrote:

> Andy Piper wrote:
>
>> At 04:26 PM 10/26/2005, Rick McGuire wrote:
>>
>>> The most critical need right now is to have a replacement to the Sun
>>> ORB that would allow portability to other JVM impelementations.  The
>>> lack of a full-function compliant ORB is the main factor locking
>>> Geronimo in to the Sun 1.4.2 JVM.
>>> I think the general view of the CORBA support is that of a
>>> "necessary evil".  It is required for J2EE certifcation, but is not
>>> generally seen as critical to most Geronimo deployments.  My
>>> personal view of the priorities is "get it working, get it
>>> portable".  Issues such as additional uses or higher peformance are
>>> things to consider after the primary requirements are fullfilled.
>>

>> Can I ask why portability is critical? Most VM's (with one notable
>> exception) use the Sun ORB so depending on it doesn't seem such a big
>> deal to me, especially if its a necessary evil. I agree support for
>> J2SE 5.0 is essential, but its pretty easy to write code that
>> supports both 1.4 and 5.0 ORBs.
>

> Actually, then don't.  The IBM JVM certainly doesn't, and I don't
> believe JRocket does either.  And it is not particularly easy to write
> code code that supports both 1.4 and 5.0 Sun ORBs because of
> difficulties hooking in the SSL support.  You also run into issues
> trying to build the code, since for any given JVM, only one of the
> versions of the ORB adaptors will compile correctly.

Technically the J2SE 5.0 reference ORB was supposed to be portable and
interoperable and pluggable as Sun uses a modified version of that ORB
for its own products. I've tried to forget the headaches we had with
CORBA experience with JDK 5.0 but if there is anything I can do to make
the Geronimo completely work with JDK 5.0 I'm all ears

regards
calvin