geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trifork CORBA
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:40:24 GMT
Andy Piper wrote:

> At 04:26 PM 10/26/2005, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> The most critical need right now is to have a replacement to the Sun
>> ORB that would allow portability to other JVM impelementations.  The
>> lack of a full-function compliant ORB is the main factor locking
>> Geronimo in to the Sun 1.4.2 JVM.
>> I think the general view of the CORBA support is that of a "necessary
>> evil".  It is required for J2EE certifcation, but is not generally
>> seen as critical to most Geronimo deployments.  My personal view of
>> the priorities is "get it working, get it portable".  Issues such as
>> additional uses or higher peformance are things to consider after the
>> primary requirements are fullfilled.
>

> Can I ask why portability is critical? Most VM's (with one notable
> exception) use the Sun ORB so depending on it doesn't seem such a big
> deal to me, especially if its a necessary evil. I agree support for
> J2SE 5.0 is essential, but its pretty easy to write code that supports
> both 1.4 and 5.0 ORBs.

Actually, then don't.  The IBM JVM certainly doesn't, and I don't
believe JRocket does either.  And it is not particularly easy to write
code code that supports both 1.4 and 5.0 Sun ORBs because of
difficulties hooking in the SSL support.  You also run into issues
trying to build the code, since for any given JVM, only one of the
versions of the ORB adaptors will compile correctly.