geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Clustering
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:48:45 GMT
comments inline...

Jeff Genender wrote:

> Dave Colasurdo wrote:
>

>> Jeff Genender wrote:

>>> I have them fully coded.  I just need to test them and check them in.
>>>

>> Thanks... Please keep us posted on progress.  Am eager to test this
>> out..
>

> I am on it...

>>> Not at the moment.  Would you be interested in helping out with
>>> getting info on the wiki after I check this in?
>>>
>> Yep, can help out here..
>>
>> BTW, I think the whole G Wiki needs a facelift.. I'm also hoping
>> Hernan can help out here.
>

> +1000!!! This would be most excellent.

>>> We are actually talking about using WADI (wadi.codehaus.org) to do
>>> this.  This way Jetty and Tomcat can share the web tier in a
>>> cluster.  This is primarily why I have held off checking in the
>>> Tomcat clustering.
>>>
>> Does this mean that a single cluster can consist of both G Jetty and
>> G Tomcat cluster members?  Hmmm..  I usually think of cluster members
>> as identical clones.  Or are you saying that both Jetty and Tomcat
>> would share the same WADI mechanism for clustering though not support
>> a heterogeneous set of web containers across servers?
>

> I'll let Jules comment on this.  But yes, IIUC, the cluster
> theoretically should be able to have both Jetty and Tomcat members.
> The clustering is really only the HTTPSession, so in theory this
> should not be an issue.  Jules, care to comment here?

Jeff is right.

WADI has an integration layer which bridges between wadi-core, jetty5,
jetty6, tomcat50 and tomcat55, below this layer all components are
identical, no matter which container you are running in. So, if you
chose, you could mix all 4 containers within a cluster. In reality, I
expect that this will not be the case, as people will only want to
production-test and support a single container, but it still gives us
the significant advantage, in an environment with multiple web-container
choices, that a WADI configuration should be portable between all 4
containers and we only have to maintain a single codebase (core) with a
number of thin integration layers.

In fact it should be possible to run WADI all the way down and so mix
standalone Jettys, Tomcats and even (heaven forbid) JB*ss-Jetty's and
JB*ss-Tomcat's into your Geronimo web-cluster, if that is your thing (we
have a JB*ss integration in testing). Of course, when you throw EJBs
into this equation, things get more complicated - we are in talks with
the OpenEJB team about how we can all use the same technology to manage
our (stateful) sessions.

So, the answer to your question is - "both - and more".

Hope that helps,

Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell