geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject Re: The autodeploy feature in Geronimo
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:18:15 GMT

Joe Bohn wrote:
> I agree with the notion that any "hot deploy" directory we deliver
> should be only for deploy/redeploy.   However, I don't think that makes
> it necessary to remove the items once they were deployed.  I agree with
> Geir that we should keep things there so that you can verify what is
> really active at any given time.
>
> I have a somewhat different view on this (perhaps entirely wrong) but
> I'd like to toss it out there.
>
> How about if we provide a "hot deploy" location that acts as an
> "addition/over-ride" location much the same as adding a library earlier
> in a path.  I tend to think of this "hot deploy" activity as a developer
> activity and so I think most folks running a production server would
> follow the traditional deploy, undeploy, redeploy mechanics.  Hot-deploy
> would most likely be used exclusively in development or to "patch" a
> critical problem with a temporary fix.
>
> If this idea has any merit then I would propose the following:
> - The hot deploy location would be used as a the initial place to look
> for any application or application element prior to looking in the
> config-store.   Therefore, it could be used to over-ride items from a
> previously deployed application.

Yes....agreed.

> - New applications added to the hot-deploy location would not be fully
> "deployed" in the sense of being added to the config-store.  Rather,
> they would be deployed to a temporary location (possibly somewhere under
> the same hot-deploy location).  That will keep the two deployment types
> and locations distinct.

IMHO this could get really ugly.  I think we need a single location.  If
we have a hot-deploy directory, then it should be there to make is easy
to auto deploy instead of running a script.

> - Applications which only existed in the hot deploy location and were
> removed would be "undeployed" from the temporary location (but not from
> the config-store since a hot-deploy item is never included in the
> config-store).  This would then result in the application being
> completely removed from the system if it was never fully deployed to the
> config-store or the original, deployed application would then once again
> become the "used" application.

This is where we run into problems.  We now have 2 deploy areas with
files that may or may not be representative of the same application.
This is why I believe that if we do this...the jar/war/ear/rar (or what
have you) will disappear - meaning Geronimo deployed it - or had its way
with it.  I am going to agree with David Jencks that this should be a
very unstandard way of doing things due to the JSR issues.  I think
having 2 deployment areas will cause us a tremendous amount of problems
in ensuring both areas represent the same area.  This is why I am saying
it should be for deploy/redploy only and "poof" it is gone.  This should
be a development-only tool, and I would like that if we do this, that
its something that needs to be enabled and is not available in the
default configuration.

> - There would be no capability to really undeploy an application that
> has been deployed to the config-store ...only the ability to over-ride
> it or stop over-riding it.

Yes...this was my thinking.