geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: loading gbeans
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:10:37 GMT

David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2005, at 7:05 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to load a "loaded configuration's" gbeans' without
>> starting the configuration?  I'm basically wanting query a gbean's
>> persistent attribute value on a loaded but not started configuration.
>> Looking through the code the configuration's gbeans are loaded only
>> after its containing configuration is started
>>
>> kernel.startGBean(configName);
>> kernel.invoke(configName, "loadGBeans", new Object[] {attributeStore},
>> new String[] {ManageableAttributeStore.class.getName()});
>>
>> This makes sense, but I'm wondering if there is an alternate way to
>> get the gbeans attribute values on an already deployed and serialized
>> configuration.
>
> I don't think we can do better at this point.  There is no limit on the
> complexity of attribute values, and the only restriction other than
> serializablitly is that classes used must be loadable by the
> configuration's classloader.  This classloader is only available when
> the configuration gbean is started.
>
> If you're willing to use the kernel methods directly rather than the
> methods on ConfigurationManager (I recommend sticking to using the
> ConfigurationManager) you could pass your own ManageableAttributeStore
> in that gets all the gbean datas and return an empty list.  This would
> result in you getting the gbean datas and no gbeans getting loaded.
>
> Why do you want to avoid loading the gbeans?

Well I was looking into the shutdown script a little this weekend and we
need to be able to shutdown the correct kernel if multiple server
instances are running.  In order to do so we need to get the correct
port number from the RMIRegistry gbean in order to be able to connect to
and shutdown the correct kernel.  So I launched a temp kernel and loaded
the RMINamingConfiguration.  From there, starting that configuration
fails since the RMIRegistry gbean's port number is already in use.  So I
was looking a way to bypass starting the configuration and to just be
able to load that particular gbean and get its "port" attribute.  From
there I can put togather the correct uri, create a kernel delegate and
shut it down.