geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xdoclet
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:22:08 GMT

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Sachin Patel wrote:
>> Jacek, Looks like WTP will have xdoc2 support for their 1.0 (got a
>> note saying it's in this weeks I-build) so perhaps we should consider
>> not maintaining two streams and focus only on xdoclet 2 plugin
>> development.
>
> Hey Sachin,
>
> Great! I've had some success in developing XDoclet2 plugin for
> Geronimo, but wonder what exactly we need to have. I'm working on a
> GBeanPlugin, so that one would create a GBean and annotate it with
> some tags. I don't know yet what tags it will end up with, though.
> Probably, it will map what's available in the gbean xml schema.
>
> So far we've got the XDoclet plugin for OpenEJB that I think should
> rather be in OpenEJB repo. No Geronimo XDoclet2 support exists yet.
I wasn't aware of the openejb plugin.  Where is it exactly? How much do
the tags vary from the regular "ejb" xdoc plugin?
> The question that bothers me lately is what XDoclet2 should bring to
> the table?
Thats the million dollar question :)  I'm still trying to get familar
with the geronimo deployment plans, but I would think that not
everything would make sense or be applicable to have tags for.  Most
tags generate either xml or additional source.  Could there be any
scenarios for codegen? (besides openejb tags).  Also it would only make
sense to provide tags for elements that can be applied to the scope of a
given class, if that makes sense.  And I think the gbeanplugin would be
a good example of that.  Also it would good to focus at first on
geronimo specific non-j2ee tags, and a GBeanPlugin falls into that
category as well.

The other thing to consider for the future is JSR-175 type annotations,
and wether we want to exploit its "reflection" support in the server
during runtime.