geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: transitive dependencies
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:03:18 GMT
On 20/10/2005 2:58 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>
>> You may be right. Having said that, this XML parsing is done each
>> time that a dependency is declared by a configuration. I see this
>> approach as more self-contained than a solution based on the build
>> system. Indeed, this approach allows to declare the runtime
>> dependencies of a dependency, which is rather handy.
>

> Could you explain what you mean by this?

I think that this is better explained with an example:
Based on the META-INF/geronimo-service.xml file of the geronimo-tomcat
dependency, I know that 4 runtime dependencies are required. As a user,
it is clear that I need these 4 dependencies in my repository to be able
to use geronimo-tomcat. Without this file, I do not know that. Based on
the geronimo-tomcat POM, a user is able to derive the compile time
dependencies; yet it is not clear that tomcat-coyote needs to be there
at runtime.

I think that this is more handy as it is then trivial to write a tomcat
plan: I add the tomcat-plan dependency; define my GBeans; and add to my
repo the geronimo-service.xml runtime dependencies. With the current
approach, I would need to add to my custom plan all the dependencies
defined by j2ee-tomcat-plan (do I need all of them?).

>> Also, I think that it is also a pain to declare the transitive
>> dependencies in a configuration. I would prefer to simply define the
>> top level dependencies, e.g. the ones defining the declared GBeans,
>> and let them define the other dependencies.
>

> That is certainly a goal I like :-).
>
> I like the idea of constructing the geronimo-service.xml's from the
> project.xml.  That would eliminate one source of duplication.  And, we
> could open up the configurations and possibly jars included explicitly
> in an assembly and extract the dependencies and install them into the
> geronimo repo providing they are available.  However, unless maven is
> also keeping track of the transitive dependencies somehow, such as
> through poms, I don't see how maven will be able to guarantee that all
> the dependencies needed for an assembly are actually present in the
> local maven repo, so we can copy them.  Any ideas?

I see the problem now: all the dependencies need to be in the local
maven repo and it seems that only Maven will be able to do that.

Thanks,
Gianny