geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xdoclet
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:21:11 GMT
These are good questions.  As soon as I finish dealing with the WTP
design changes I can start looking into some of these issues.

See below re: the eclipse questions...

sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Hi Sachin,
>
> If you could help out that would be great as I probably won't have a
> lot of time over the next few weeks to work on this.
>
> I was initially thinking about automating the download of the xdoclet
> code and invoking the ant build of xdoclet as a first step to get
> things moving...  But I didn't view this as a long term solution.
>
> If you download Xdoclet 1.2.2 source and build the geronimo module,
> you end up with a xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar file in target/lib.
>
> Some issues\questions that need to be investigated:
>
>  * Is the generated xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar compatible with
> previous versions or future versions of XDoclet?
>
> * How do we version it?  The plan was (at least until Geronimo
> stabilises) to have the Geronimo XDoclet module developed (and
> versioned) independent of the XDoclet project.
>
> * Does XDoclet 1.2.2 only look for modules with a 1.2.2 version number
> in their names?
>
> * What happens if Eclipse moves to a newer XDoclet release in the
> future?  Will we be supporting multiple versions of Eclipse in the
> future?
Eclipse/WTP actually doesn't ship the XDoclet runtime, only the
framework to support it.  Thus making our integration into it easier and
much more flexible.

> * Can the eclipse auto update facility install the appropriate
> geronimo Xdoclet module?
Yes, I the eclipse update manager has the ability to install any jars as
long as their is an "update site" on the other end.  For example,
through WTP we'll be able to install not only the geronimo eclipse
plugin, but the Geronimo server itself.