geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo Samples
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:21:36 GMT

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>       IMHO, We should divide our efforts according to
> the following target audience:
> 1. Beginers : I would like university students to
> download G to learn JSP, Servlets, EJBs and Web
> Sevices. The apps should be predeployed in G, so that
> they can be run by clicking the 'start' button. We
> should develop one EJB and one Web Services example
> following the Tomcat JSP/Servlets examples. These
> examples should not have anything specific to Geronimo
> or Web Container and should demonstrate the
> technology, one concept at a time.
> 2. Expert Users : Provide a fairly complex example,
> which is ready to be built and illustrates how a good
> J2EE app should be written. This example should be
> interactive and should demonstrate Geronimo specific
> concepts.
>
> Thanks
> Anita

+1, though would like to limit the samples to only a few small
applications that are easy to remove (servlet/JSP, EJB, and possibly a
web service).  Don't want users (especially those that plan to embed the
technology) spending much time removing samples.   I suspect the
installer will account for this by allowing the samples to be
selectable.  Though we need to make sure the binary distributions also
allow for easy removal of these default samples.

So, category 2 would encompass what you have described and all other
samples that don't fall into category 1.

The additional samples (ongoing list) should reside on the Wiki..
similar to the migration articles/samples tha Hernan is setting up..

Do you have any simple EJB or Web Services examples available?

Also, in addition to the sample list that we've identified in earlier
conversations.  There are struts examples (available in the struts
download) that seem to be structured similar to the tomcat samples.
Suspect these should not be installed by default but rather made
available on the wiki for easy download and deployment.

Thanks
-Dave-