geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Clustering
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:13:33 GMT
Bruce Snyder wrote:

>>>Can you provide a quick high level description of the advantages of
>>>WADI over Tomcat and Jetty clustering solutions?
>>>

>>Jetty uses 1->all replication over jgroups, as I believe 1 Tomcat
>>session manager does. I think the other Tomcat session manager also does
>>1->all replication, but over its own protocol. Perhaps Jeff can confirm
>>this. I think TC's 'PersistentManager' is also able to write changed
>>sessions out to disc at the end of the request.
>>
>>1->all, for the reasons given above will not scale. The more nodes you
>>add, the more notifications each will have to react to and the more
>>sessions it will have to hold. you are simply deferring your problems
>>for a little while. Your only way out is to partition cluster and
>>sacrifice your availability. When WADI's in-vm replication strategy is
>>finished, I think that this will make it a clear winner for anyone
>>wishing to cluster more than  2-3 nodes.
>>

>I know that this may sound a bit off the wall, but what about
>implementing the BitTorrent protocol
>(http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html)? The purpose of the
>BitTorrent protocol is to redistribute the cost of downloading a file
>of (potentially) unlimited size to the downloaders themselves by
>automatically recruiting the downloaders to upload chunks of the file
>to their peer downloaders. There's a very good paper available
>(http://www.bittorrent.com/bittorrentecon.pdf) that outlines the
>BitTorrent protocol at a higher level and explains the economic theory
>around which the protocol was built and how it has already been proven
>through it's many implementations and high utilization throughout the
>world today.

interesting idea :-)

Off the top of my head, I guess the main difference in usecase is the
scale of our requirement (generally much smaller objects over LAN,
instead of large objects over WAN) and the frequency with which they
change - all the time vs. never. Bittorent uses massive storage
redundancy to ensure the survival of cached items - I guess they can do
this because disc is cheap, whereas for an in-vm replication scheme, we
want to keep sessions in memory to keep things fast and the possible
footprint of each node is limited to a few gig - the smaller the better.
So we need to keep the number or replicas down to the bare minimum.

That's not to say that we can't learn anything from bittorrent. I'll
give it some thought today and try to do some reading around it.

Cheers, Bruce

Jules

>Bruce
>--