geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Clustering
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:38:08 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Jules,
>
> Thanks for the update.  I like whats been done.  Do you think WADI is
> ready begin becoming a part of Geronimo? (i.e ready for prime time)

I have lots more to do, but I would certainly be interesting in starting
integration work with Geronimo. I always had Geronimo in mind whilst
working on WADI, it has just been that, until certification, simply
implementing specs correctly has been foremost on the G agenda. Now that
we have reached this goal, the next one becomes enterprise-readiness. I
hope that WADI can help with this. Would you, or anyone else on the
list, be interested in taking a look at it and getting involved in the
integration ?

Jules

> Jeff
>
> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> Now that we have achieved the covetted J2EE Certification, we need
>>> to start thinking about some of the things we will need to have in
>>> Geronimo in order to be mass adopted by the Enterprise.
>>>
>>> IMHO, I think one of the huge holes is clustering.  This is a heavy
>>> need by many companies and I believe that until we get a powerful
>>> clustering solution into G, it will not be taken as a serious J2EE
>>> contender.
>>>
>>> So, with that said, I wanted to start a discussion thread on
>>> clustering and what we need to do to get this into Geronimo.  I
>>> personally would like to be involved in this (thus the reason for me
>>> starting this thread) - yeah, since Tomcat is done, now I am bored ;-).
>>>
>>> I was going over the lists and emails and had some great discussion
>>> with Jules on the WADI project he has built.  This seems compelling
>>> to me.  I also noticed Active Cluster as a possibility.
>>>
>>> So lets start from the top.  Do we use an already available
>>> clusering engine or do we roll our own?  Here is a small list of
>>> choices I have reviewed and it is by no means complete...
>>>
>>> 1) WADI
>>> 2) Active Cluster
> [...]
>> in the same cluster).
>> It comprises a vertical stack of pluggable caches/stores (memory,
>> local disc, db etc) through which sessions are demoted as they age
>> and promoted as and when required to service a request.
>> This stack may be connected horizontally to a cluster by inserting a
>> clustered store, which uses a distributed hash table (currently
>> un-replicated, but I am working on it) to share state around the
>> clusters members in a scalable manner. WADI has a working mod_jk
>> integration.
>>
>> WADI currently sits on top of ActiveCluster, which it uses for
>> membership notification and ActiveMQ which is used for transport by
>> both layers. ActiveMQ has pluggable protocols, including a peer://
>> protocol which allows peers to talk directly to one another (this
>> should put to bed fears of a JMS based solution not scaling -
>> remember, JMS is just an API). So you do not need to choose between
>> WADI and ActiveCluster - they are complimentary. ActiveCluster can
>> also (I believe) use JGroups as a transport - I haven't tried it.
>>
>> ActiveSpace is another technology in this area (distributed caching)
>> and it looks as if WADI and ActiveSpace will become more closely
>> aligned. So this may also be considered a complimentary technology.
>>
>> Both Tomcat and Jetty currently have existing clustering solutions. I
>> looked closely at the Tomcat solutions before starting out on WADI
>> and knew all about the Jetty solution, because I wrote it :-). WADI
>> is my answer to what I see as shortcomings in all of the existing
>> open source approaches to this problem-space.
>>
>> Some parts of WADI should soon (December) be undergoing some serious
>> testing. When they pass we will be able to consider them production
>> ready. Others, notably the distributed hash table are still under
>> development (although a fairly functional version is available in the
>> SNAPSHOT).
>>
>> I think that, in the same way Tomcat clustering could be enabled
>> easily in Geronimo, WADI could also be added by virtue of its
>> integration with Tomcat/Jetty, but I have been concentrating on my
>> distributed hash table too hard. If anyone is interested in talking
>> further about WADI, perhaps trying to plug it into Geronimo (It is
>> spring-wired and uses spring to register its components with JMX. I
>> guess it should be simple to hook it into the Geronimo kernel in the
>> same way, I just haven't had the time), or helping out in any way at
>> all, I would be delighted to hear from them.
>>
>> I have broached the subject of a common session clustering framework
>> with members of the OpenEJB team and we have discussed things such as
>> the colocation of HttpSessions and SFSBs. I believe OpenEJB has been
>> moving towards JCache to facilitate the plugging in of a clustering
>> substrate. My distributed hash table is also moving in the same
>> direction.
>>
>> I hope that gives you all a little more information to go on. If you

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner
 * Core Developers Network (Europe)