geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo Samples
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:39:55 GMT
Planning to update the Welcome page to contain a section for Examples

Something like:

Geronimo Examples
  - Servlet examples
  - JSP examples
  - EJB examples (coming soon)

A few questions..

As you know, the Servlet and JSP examples are from Tomcat..
Should/can/must we provide credit to Tomcat on this page  (e.g. Servlet
examples - courtesy of Apache  Tomcat)?  This may seem strange to the
user if they have selected the Jetty web container :>)

The servlet/JSP examples are already part of the Tomcat binary
distributions (from the Apache Jakarta Tomcat website).  I've taken the
expanded wars from the resulting installation and ZIPed them into war
files and installed them on geronimo.  There was one minor tweak in
web.xml to remove a LF character that was choking the g deployer.. So,
finally to my question..  How should we package this in the geronimo
source tree?

1) Checkin the war files and have the build process deploy it in the
binaries.  For the installer distribution, I assume there should be no
predeployment at build time but rather just include the wars in the
image so that the installer can conditionally install it.

2) Check in to the source tree as an unexploded war and have the build
process pkg it up and deploy it.  Same story as above for the installer.

Lastly, the tomcat examples obviously do not contain any geronimo unique
deployment information.  Are there a few simple deployment attributes
that we should showcase in the examples? Which ones?

-Dave-