geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clustering
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:03:50 GMT

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
> Can we level-set the conversation (in this subthread) by describing the
> current clustering options available in Geronimo.
> It seems that Tomcat
> and Jetty already have some level of web tier clustering.  Can a
> geronimo user easily leverage this support?

Speaking from a Tomcat perspective, I just need to add the clustering
GBeans and it should be available immediately.  But this only addresses
the web tier, which is not good enough.

> Specifically, Tomcat supports Load Balancing via JK
> connector/mod_proxy/balancer, HttpSession failover via
> file/database/memory replication, sticky session, etc..
> Though it seems that some of the configuration/management depends on
> tomcat server.xml..  Can geronimo users currently easily leverage this
> web tier clustering?

Yep...again...just a Gbean wrapper.  I could offer up the code in
literally a few minutes.  I held off from doing this before we were to
choose a direction for our clustering solution.  If you all (community)
want this as an interim solution, I can activate Tomcat clustering this
weekend.  Just say so - I just need to see some interest.

> I understand that Tomcat and Jetty provide only Web tier solutions and
> don't address EJB, JNDI, JDBC, JMS..  Though just wondering whether how
> relevant their web tier solutions are to geronimo.

Its obviously web only.  I brought up the Tomcat clustering kind of a
roll-your-own option.  We could take what is there and build on it to
work in the other areas.

> Also, how does Tangosol Coherence fit in?  Is this an application level
> clustering solution?

Tangasol would fit in nicely, if it were free ;-)  I spoke with Cameron
last week at JIA and flat out asked him about the possibility of a
donation.  He didn't say no ;-)  He did say he needed to think about it
and how it fits his company's business model, of which I have complete
respect for.

Jeff

--
Jeff Genender