geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo Samples
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:08:27 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>>> 6) What samples should we make available in the binary and  installer
>>> download image?
>>> The default samples in the binary and installer should be Demo  (and
>>> possibly  magicGball).
>>>
>> Hmmmm. After looking at Demo. not too sure it is the best choice..
>> MagicGball does seems a bit better though doesn't really  demonstrate
>> the technology (at least not directly in your face).   Tomcat has done
>> a good job in this space with servlets-examples and  jsp-examples..
>> They show some of the J2EE concepts and provide an  easy way to look
>> at the source from the browser.
>

> Good point.  Do you want to take a crack at creating some better  examples?

I'll look into this.. Also, can someone help clarify the line between
reusing open source and providing unique project identity.  Basically,
I'm wondering if it makes any sense to reuse the Tomcat examples (along
with a few small additional enhancements (e.g. EJBs) as the default
sample that gets installed with geronimo.  Or is it better to create our
own Geronimo unique sample?

> I suggest a wiki page for each sample, so users can easily share  their
> experiences.

+1  Yep probably a main "Sample" category on the wiki along with links
to the individual samples (also on the wiki)..