geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: More port conflicts
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:48:52 GMT

Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> [...]
>> the configurations between distributions it will mean a very
>> substantial increase in maintenance to ship 2 versions, and I am not
>> at all sure it is worth the trouble if we can provide a
>> single-container choice using the installer.
>

> Concerning the non-installer images..
>
> Hmmm.. I guess one of the problems is that many folks will not view the
> release notes and just try to use the the application server ( I am
> guilty of this).  Some initial thoughts that come to mind to address this:
>
> Binary Distributions (assuming now that G is certified there will be
> more frequent binary images available) - I suspect the audience for
> these binaries will primarily be users and not G developers..
>
> 1) Default to no webcontainer and spell out in BIG BOLD COLORED LETTERS
> ON THE DOWNLOAD SITE that you need to choose a webcontainer via the
> config files. If the server is started w/o a webcontainer, spit out yet
> another reminder message..
>
> 2) Have a separate binary image for both the Jetty and Tomcat
> webcontainers.  I'm not suggesting biting off the whole task of revising
> the assembly process but rather just merely having two binaries each
> with a separate set of config files (config.xml, config.list).  This
> could even be a post-build step done on the common image. This isn't
> very technically interesting but clearly communicates to users that
> there are two separate environments and they select the download that
> they want.  Of course, this goes away if/when the assembly revision is
> complete.
>
> 3) Have no default config in the binaries.  Have the jetty and tomcat
> config files available as a separate download (right on the same page as
> the binary images).  Clearly document that one of the containers needs
> to be chosen.  (I don't like this option)..
>
> 4) Default the binary distribution to one of the web containers.  You
> can use MagicGball to decide which one :>) Clearly indicate on the web
> download site that this can easily be changed by updating the config
> files..
>
> While none of these options are too technically exciting, they do
> address the problem of users inadvertently starting G with multiple web
> containers and getting confused. We don't want users to have a bad first
> impression..
>
> Source Tree distributions
>
> Can't there be a simple argument or property that is specified at build
> time to denote which webcontainer (or both) will be used.  The build
> will then seed the resulting image with the correct copy of config.list
> and config.xml..  Again this doesn't address the major revision of the
> assembly process but provides a simple way to create an image that has
> the webcontainer(s) config that you want.  Hmmm.. perhaps this is
> overkill as developers should already know about config.list and
> config.xml..
>
> Hope I haven't beat this issue to death, just want to try to keep it as

As I mentioned in my original note, I too think that we need to provide
some means to ensure just one container is active in the initial
download and provide an easy way for the user to select which one.
However, I don't think that any of the 4 options listed above completely
address the concern because they all seem to keep the configurations for
the non-selected container deployed.  #2 is close if we make it a little
  bit more sophisticated.  In addition to providing two assemblies with
the appropriate config files the post-build processing could also ensure
that the only pre-deployed applications are the ones for the selected
container.

WRT the source tree distribution, we could just make the post-assembly
processing available to as well.  The user could choose to keep both
containers (and all configurations) or perform this additional step to
narrow it down to just one container.

Joe

--
Joe Bohn