geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: More port conflicts
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:18:46 GMT
Quite frankly, I'm not sure I see the value of having multiple web
containers simultaneously active within geronimo.  Has anyone heard of a
  use case or user that is asking for this support?  IMHO, I suspect the
vast majority of users will choose a single web container (at build or
install time) and stick with it.  If future requirements dictate a
switch to a different container, then laying down a new installation
doesn't seem unreasonable.  In fact, Geronimo doesn't currently even
support incremental maintenance.  I would think the use case for
non-destructive upgrade would be much more prevalent than changing
internal components on the fly.

While simultaneous active web containers would be a technical feat, I'm
really not sure the overhead and added confusion to users are worth the
payoff..  My $.02

Thanks
Dave