geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo Samples
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:23:39 GMT
Is there anybody out there?  Also, one additional update below..

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
> I believe the community needs to settle on how Samples will be organized
> within Geronimo..
>
> I've taken a stab at a few of the issues and have offered my suggestions
> on how to resolve.
>
> 1) Where in the geronimo source tree will samples reside?
> The directory tree:  geronimo/applications/samples should contain (demo,
> magicGball, DayTrader, etc.).  This separates the samples from other
> geronimo applications (e.g. jmxdebug, uddi-server, welcome).
>
> 2) Will the samples (or a subset of samples) exist in the binary
> download images?
> Yes, have a small, simple web application available as part of the
> binary download image (perhaps demo or magicGball).  This will provide a
> good first time experience for new users.  An experienced user can
> easily remove this sample from the binary before embedding in a separate
> project/product.
>
> 3) Should there be a separately downloadable set of additional samples
> that can be easily installed and run on Geronimo?
> Yes, Have an additional downloadable package of samples available that
> can be easily installed and run on geronimo.
>
> 4) Will the samples exist as selective choices in the downloadable
> installer images?
> Yes, the geronimo installer will provide a selectable choice for a small
> simple web application.  I believe the installer is already doing this.
>
> 5) How will the samples be surfaced to the users?
> The small simple web application(s) will be predeployed in the binary
> image and selectable as an option in the installer binary.
> The Geronimo Welcome Page will contain links to these samples.  The
> Welcome page will also contain a link that points to the download site
> which contains the additional samples and documentation/scripts for
> installing these additional samples.
>
> 6) What samples should we make available in the binary and installer
> download image?
> The default samples in the binary and installer should be Demo (and
> possibly  magicGball).
Hmmmm. After looking at Demo. not too sure it is the best choice..
MagicGball does seems a bit better though doesn't really demonstrate the
technology (at least not directly in your face).  Tomcat has done a good
job in this space with servlets-examples and jsp-examples.. They show
some of the J2EE concepts and provide an easy way to look at the source
from the browser.