geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Geronimo Samples
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:20:32 GMT
I believe the community needs to settle on how Samples will be organized
within Geronimo..

I've taken a stab at a few of the issues and have offered my suggestions
on how to resolve.

1) Where in the geronimo source tree will samples reside?
The directory tree:  geronimo/applications/samples should contain (demo,
magicGball, DayTrader, etc.).  This separates the samples from other
geronimo applications (e.g. jmxdebug, uddi-server, welcome).

2) Will the samples (or a subset of samples) exist in the binary
download images?
Yes, have a small, simple web application available as part of the
binary download image (perhaps demo or magicGball).  This will provide a
good first time experience for new users.  An experienced user can
easily remove this sample from the binary before embedding in a separate
project/product.

3) Should there be a separately downloadable set of additional samples
that can be easily installed and run on Geronimo?
Yes, Have an additional downloadable package of samples available that
can be easily installed and run on geronimo.

4) Will the samples exist as selective choices in the downloadable
installer images?
Yes, the geronimo installer will provide a selectable choice for a small
simple web application.  I believe the installer is already doing this.

5) How will the samples be surfaced to the users?
The small simple web application(s) will be predeployed in the binary
image and selectable as an option in the installer binary.
The Geronimo Welcome Page will contain links to these samples.  The
Welcome page will also contain a link that points to the download site
which contains the additional samples and documentation/scripts for
installing these additional samples.

6) What samples should we make available in the binary and installer
download image?
The default samples in the binary and installer should be Demo (and
possibly  magicGball).

7) What samples should be available as a separate download?
-Existing Tomcat Samples (Servlet Examples, JSP Examples)... These
appear to work on Geronimo (w/ Jetty) with one minor change
-Day Trader (currently in sandbox)
-Petstore (currently in sandbox)
-Migration samples (currently under discussion on the devlist)
-Any other sample that can be used to showcase the geronimo
functionality.. Lets add to this list..
-Didn't someone else donate some samples awhile back?

7) What else is needed?
Each additional sample should have documentation and possibly simple
scripts and plans to setup the environment (e.g. datasource).
Also, consider adding the source code to the sample.  This can be quite
useful for users.  Tomcat (Servlet and JSP examples)have provided the
source as part of their samples.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Dave-