geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Generic Logo Contest Guidelines
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 17:34:26 GMT
On 10/9/2005 10:03 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:54 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> I see Dain's point and I think that we do need to clarify if the
>> PRC's guidelines are suggestions or hard rules that they have been
>> empowered by the corporation to enforce.  We need to clarify this
>> because it seems that the community really likes the contentious
>> logo; they are aware of other's opinions and still they cling to
>> their choice.
>

> that's fine.  Then we run it by the PRC and if they like it, it's fine.
>

>> If these guidelines are suggestions then let's move on and install
>> our new, butt ugly, logo.  ;)  The community mandate is clear.  If
>> these guidelines are hard rules that the PRC has been empowered by
>> the corporation to enforce, then more discussion needs to be take
>> place.
>

> This is why I suggested we get the guidelines from the PRC, winnow
> down the set, and let the community freely decide then.
>

>> We are at a fork in the road and we, the community, need to clearly
>> understand what the situation is.
>

> Where is the question?  Are we debating :
>
> a) if the PRC has the right to make such guidelines?
>
> b) if they are guidelines or rules?
>
> c) if we are choosing to ignore the guidelines for the logo that
> people are voting for?
>
> d) if it's smart for us to ignore the spirit of the idea behind the
> guidelines?
>
> I think that we are behind the count here, so to speak, and would be
> well served by being extra careful.

We are not debating.  I and others would like to know the answers to A
and B.  IMHO, it is not smart for us to ignore the spirit of the idea
behind the guidelines but, it is always best for the community to make
an informed decision.

Are you saying, "let's run the logo that the community picks by the PRC
and if they like it as well, then why dig up A and B which is a
contentious thing to do"?  Sounds good to me.  I would prefer to have a
non-procedural consensus then to add/analyze more process and hierarchy.

My two cents: I think that we should follow the PRC's guidelines as if
they were hard rules for two reasons.  First, is that they seem to me to
be good and reasonable guidelines.  Second, is that it is their role to
come up with corporate/community wide guidelines; I think that we should
respect that.

Regards,
Alan