geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Neal Sanche <n...@nsdev.org>
Subject Re: JavaMail Redux
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:48:21 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> I'm very unclear as to what works in your example and what doesn't.
> I'd appreciate clear answers to the following questions:
>
> As a starting point, I'm assuming that you are using the
> configuration  in which you have put the sun javamail and activation
> implementations  into the classpath before or instead of the geronimo
> ones.
>
> 1. If you remove the attribute
>
>>      <attribute name="debug">true</attribute>
>
>  completely, can you send and receive mail?

I'm not currently trying to receive mail. If the property is not there,
there seems to be no effect on functionality. Mail will send.

> 2. If you include the attribute
>
>>      <attribute name="debug">true</attribute>
>
> can you send and receive mail, although there is no debug output?

There is no debug output, mail does send.

> 3. If you remove the attribute
>
>>      <attribute name="debug">true</attribute>
>

> and include an attribute
> <attribute name="properties">mail.debug=true</attribute>
> can you send and receive mail, and is there debug output?

Yes, I can send, and there is debug output!

> There is definitely a bug in the handling of the "debug" attribute,
> but  you should be able to work around it by using the properties
> attribute.   It is not clear from your post whether including the
> explicit debug  attribute results in no mail service or no debug info
> with working mail  service.

My biggest problem is that no matter how I try, I cannot get the
mail.smtp.host property to stick. I would think this falls under 'no
mail service', since many people require a connection to an external
smtp server for mail sending to work.

> I have not followed the issues of shipping the sun javamail
> implementation in depth, but I believe that until very recently the
> license definitely prohibited apache from distributing the sun
> implementation and that the license has recently changed to make this
> issue murky.

I understand the license issues. Personally, I don't mind getting
another one, installing it, and using it in a supported way. I'm just
trying to figure out the supported way through trial and error.

Cheers.

-Neal