geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: transitive dependencies
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 04:58:50 GMT

On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Gianny Damour wrote:

> You may be right. Having said that, this XML parsing is done each time
> that a dependency is declared by a configuration. I see this approach
> as more self-contained than a solution based on the build system.
> Indeed, this approach allows to declare the runtime dependencies of a
> dependency, which is rather handy.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

> Also, I think that it is also a pain to declare the transitive
> dependencies in a configuration. I would prefer to simply define the
> top level dependencies, e.g. the ones defining the declared GBeans,
> and let them define the other dependencies.

That is certainly a goal I like :-).

I like the idea of constructing the geronimo-service.xml's from the
project.xml.  That would eliminate one source of duplication.  And, we
could open up the configurations and possibly jars included explicitly
in an assembly and extract the dependencies and install them into the
geronimo repo providing they are available.  However, unless maven is
also keeping track of the transitive dependencies somehow, such as
through poms, I don't see how maven will be able to guarantee that all
the dependencies needed for an assembly are actually present in the
local maven repo, so we can copy them.  Any ideas?

thanks,
david jencks