geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: loading gbeans
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:19:35 GMT
this time I'll respond before hitting send :-(
On Oct 23, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Oct 22, 2005, at 7:05 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:
>>> Is there a way to load a "loaded configuration's" gbeans' without
>>> starting the configuration?  I'm basically wanting query a gbean's
>>> persistent attribute value on a loaded but not started
>>> configuration.  Looking through the code the configuration's gbeans
>>> are loaded only after its containing configuration is started
>>>
>>> kernel.startGBean(configName);
>>> kernel.invoke(configName, "loadGBeans", new Object[]
>>> {attributeStore}, new String[]
>>> {ManageableAttributeStore.class.getName()});
>>>
>>> This makes sense, but I'm wondering if there is an alternate way to
>>> get the gbeans attribute values on an already deployed and
>>> serialized configuration.
>> I don't think we can do better at this point.  There is no limit on
>> the complexity of attribute values, and the only restriction other
>> than serializablitly is that classes used must be loadable by the
>> configuration's classloader.  This classloader is only available when
>> the configuration gbean is started.
>> If you're willing to use the kernel methods directly rather than the
>> methods on ConfigurationManager (I recommend sticking to using the
>> ConfigurationManager) you could pass your own
>> ManageableAttributeStore in that gets all the gbean datas and return
>> an empty list.  This would result in you getting the gbean datas and
>> no gbeans getting loaded.
>> Why do you want to avoid loading the gbeans?
>
> Well I was looking into the shutdown script a little this weekend and
> we need to be able to shutdown the correct kernel if multiple server
> instances are running.  In order to do so we need to get the correct
> port number from the RMIRegistry gbean in order to be able to connect
> to and shutdown the correct kernel.  So I launched a temp kernel and
> loaded the RMINamingConfiguration.  From there, starting that
> configuration fails since the RMIRegistry gbean's port number is
> already in use.  So I was looking a way to bypass starting the
> configuration and to just be able to load that particular gbean and
> get its "port" attribute.  From there I can put togather the correct
> uri, create a kernel delegate and shut it down.

First of all...

configurationManager.load(myURI);  //starts the configuration gbean,
but not the gbeans in the configuration
configurationManager.loadGBeans(myURI);  //loads but does not start the
gbeans in the configuration

will load the configuration whose ID is myURI, and then load but not
start the gbeans in the configuration, so you won't get any port
conflicts.  Starting the configuration
(configurationManager.start(myURI) will load and start the gbeans in
the configuration: you don't want to do this.

Second, does jmx remoting use the jndi naming port?  I keep getting
confused about which port jmx remoting connects to.

thanks
david jencks