geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: transitive dependencies
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:08:34 GMT
On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:23 PM, Gianny Damour wrote:

> On 20/10/2005 1:56 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> I've been working on building geronimo using the packaging and
>> assembly plugins.  This works fine except for the unmanageable
>> dependencies.   The project for the assemby plugin to work on
>> currently needs to include in the project.xml every jar to go into
>> the assembly's repository.  Tracking these is impossible.
>>
>> We need some way for a configuration or even a plain dependency to
>> instruct the assembly plugin to copy the artifacts dependencies
>> into the repository.
>>
>> One possibility is to use maven poms.  IIUC Dain is working on
>> integrating or imitating the latest maven repository management
>> code.  Will this give us transitive dependencies?  Will the maven
>> model work for us?  How close is this?  If we had it, it would be
>> pretty easy to construct separate jetty and tomcat assemblies, a
>> both assembly, an assembly w/o ejbs, etc etc.  Without transitive
>> dependencies, it will be a nightmare to try to keep the repository
>> contents adequate and restricted to what is actually needed to run
>> the server.
>
> Another approach would be: for each plain dependency, we could
> generate a META-INF/geronimo-service.xml file based on the POM
> dependencies as part of a standard build. Transitive dependencies
> would be achieved by walking down the dependencies defined by the
> geronimo-service.xml file.

That really wouldn't solve the transitive side of the problem.  I
mean it would work as we maintain our poms to include our
dependency's dependencies (and dependencies of those dependencies
(and ...(N))), but expecting a completely flattened list of
dependencies in a single file per configuration isn't really the
definition of transitive.

Just being a stickler :)

We already generate part of the geronimo-service.xml files at build-
time, we might as well go all the way.

-David