geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: More port conflicts
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:57:56 GMT

On Oct 11, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 2005, at 2:18 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:
>>> Quite frankly, I'm not sure I see the value of having multiple web
>>> containers simultaneously active within geronimo.  Has anyone heard
>>> of a  use case or user that is asking for this support?
>> I don't think there is any practical use for it outside of
>> experimenting with both web containers at once.  It also makes
>> running the tck much easier.
>>
>>>   IMHO, I suspect the vast majority of users will choose a single
>>> web container (at build or install time) and stick with it.  If
>>> future requirements dictate a switch to a different container, then
>>> laying down a new installation doesn't seem unreasonable.  In fact,
>>> Geronimo doesn't currently even support incremental maintenance.  I
>>> would think the use case for non-destructive upgrade would be much
>>> more prevalent than changing internal components on the fly.
>>>
>>> While simultaneous active web containers would be a technical feat,
>>> I'm really not sure the overhead and added confusion to users are
>>> worth the payoff..  My $.02
>> I prefer to keep this as standard at this point to ensure that our
>> architecture remains clean enough to support it.  I look forward to
>> the installer being sophisticated enough to be able to include the
>> correct components for only one web container.  At the moment, it
>> includes all components and only starts selected ones.
>
> If there is no immediate practical use for it outside of TCK testing,
> wouldn't it be beneficial to the users (who are hopefully flocking to
> the newly certified J2EE server :>) ) if the default behavior was more
> inline with their expectations rather than confuse them with behavior
> that is somewhat confusing and that they will likely not be
> leveraging?
>
> The changes to the installer seem like a reasonable plan.  How about
> users that download the binary zip/tar images?  Shouldn't they also
> have a simple default way to utilize only one web container.  It seems
> this is what most users would want.  It appears that the current M5
> default behavior is starting both web containers..

Well, what do you suggest?  At the moment the way to switch to a single
web container is to copy 2 text files over 2 other text files.
Instructions are in the M5 release notes.  The alternative to starting
both web containers by default is to start neither: we can't play
favorites.  We don't yet have a maintainable way of building 2 entirely
separate distributions.  I hope we can get there by 1.0, but it's going
to take a substantial revision of our assembly process to use the
packaging plugin and the assembly plugin: even with sharing the
configurations between distributions it will mean a very substantial
increase in maintenance to ship 2 versions, and I am not at all sure it
is worth the trouble if we can provide a single-container choice using
the installer.

thanks
david jencks