geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Surendra Reddy" <skre...@optena.com>
Subject RE: Clustering
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:31:38 GMT
We, at Optena, are also working a proposal Geronimo Grid Architecture.
How can we involve and contribute in this activity?

-Surendra

--
Surendra Reddy
Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Optena Corporation
2860 Zanker Road,
San Jose, CA 95135
skreddy@optena.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Colasurdo [mailto:davecola@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 5:05 AM
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Clustering

Jules Gosnell wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> Now that we have achieved the covetted J2EE Certification, we need to

>> start thinking about some of the things we will need to have in
>> Geronimo in order to be mass adopted by the Enterprise.
>>
>> IMHO, I think one of the huge holes is clustering.  This is a heavy
>> need by many companies and I believe that until we get a powerful
>> clustering solution into G, it will not be taken as a serious J2EE
>> contender.
>>
>> So, with that said, I wanted to start a discussion thread on
>> clustering and what we need to do to get this into Geronimo.  I
>> personally would like to be involved in this (thus the reason for me
>> starting this thread) - yeah, since Tomcat is done, now I am bored
;-).

>> I was going over the lists and emails and had some great discussion
>> with Jules on the WADI project he has built.  This seems compelling
>> me.  I also noticed Active Cluster as a possibility.
>>
>> So lets start from the top.  Do we use an already available clusering

>> engine or do we roll our own?  Here is a small list of choices I have

>> reviewed and it is by no means complete...
>>
>> 1) WADI
>> 2) Active Cluster
>> 3) Leverage the Tomcat Clustering engine
>>
>> So here are some of my questions...
>>
>> How complete is WADI and Active Cluster?  Both look interesting to
me.
>> My only concern with Active Cluster is it seems to be JMS based,
which
>> I think may be slow for high performance clustering (am I incorrect
on
>> this?).  How mature is WADI?
>

> Here is a status report on WADI.
>
> I'm developing it full time.
>
> A snapshot is available at wadi.codehaus.org - documentation is in the

> wiki - at the moment the documentation (rather minimalist) is more up
> date than the snapshot, but I will try to get a fresh one out next
week.

> WADI is a plugin HttpSession Manager replacement for Tomcat-5.0/5.5
and
> Jetty-5.1/60 (it can actually migrate sessions between all four in the

> same cluster).
> It comprises a vertical stack of pluggable caches/stores (memory,
local
> disc, db etc) through which sessions are demoted as they age and
> promoted as and when required to service a request.

Can you please clarify the purpose of promotion/demotion of
httpsessions? Is this a mechanism to age old entries out of the cache?
How does this relate to httpsession inactivity timeouts?
Is the cache size configurable?

> This stack may be connected horizontally to a cluster by inserting a
> clustered store, which uses a distributed hash table (currently
> un-replicated, but I am working on it) to share state around the
> clusters members in a scalable manner. WADI has a working mod_jk
> integration.

Does this mean that each cluster member shares it's httpsession data
with all of the other members (1-> all) or is there the notion of
limiting the httpsession replication to one (or a few) designated
partners?

> WADI currently sits on top of ActiveCluster, which it uses for
> membership notification and ActiveMQ which is used for transport by
both
> layers. ActiveMQ has pluggable protocols, including a peer:// protocol

> which allows peers to talk directly to one another (this should put to

> bed fears of a JMS based solution not scaling - remember, JMS is just
an
> API). So you do not need to choose between WADI and ActiveCluster -
they
> are complimentary. ActiveCluster can also (I believe) use JGroups as a

> transport - I haven't tried it.
>
> ActiveSpace is another technology in this area (distributed caching)
and
> it looks as if WADI and ActiveSpace will become more closely aligned.
So
> this may also be considered a complimentary technology.
>
> Both Tomcat and Jetty currently have existing clustering solutions. I
> looked closely at the Tomcat solutions before starting out on WADI and

> knew all about the Jetty solution, because I wrote it :-). WADI is my
> answer to what I see as shortcomings in all of the existing open
source
> approaches to this problem-space.

Can you provide a quick high level description of the advantages of WADI

over Tomcat and Jetty clustering solutions?

> Some parts of WADI should soon (December) be undergoing some serious
> testing. When they pass we will be able to consider them production
> ready. Others, notably the distributed hash table are still under
> development (although a fairly functional version is available in the
> SNAPSHOT).
>
> I think that, in the same way Tomcat clustering could be enabled
easily
> in Geronimo, WADI could also be added by virtue of its integration
with
> Tomcat/Jetty, but I have been concentrating on my distributed hash
table
> too hard. If anyone is interested in talking further about WADI,
perhaps
> trying to plug it into Geronimo (It is spring-wired and uses spring to

> register its components with JMX. I guess it should be simple to hook
it
> into the Geronimo kernel in the same way, I just haven't had the
time),
> or helping out in any way at all, I would be delighted to hear from
them.

> I have broached the subject of a common session clustering framework
> with members of the OpenEJB team and we have discussed things such as
> the colocation of HttpSessions and SFSBs. I believe OpenEJB has been
> moving towards JCache to facilitate the plugging in of a clustering
> substrate. My distributed hash table is also moving in the same
direction.

So, if I understand correctly, you are working towards some common
infrastructure with openejb.. though WADI itself, will not address
clustering beyond the Web Tier?

Thanks for the update!