geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modularizing Geronimo using OSGi
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:53:07 GMT

On Oct 25, 2005, at 7:33 AM, Simon Burns wrote:

> I worked on the Eclipse Equinox project to bring the OSGi framework
> up to
> the OSGi R4 specification.  As part of that I did some prototyping of
> Geronimo on OSGi.  I have recently revisited this work and have got
> Geronimo starting successfully on OSGi.  Since there has been some
> discussion of Geronimo and OSGi on this mailing list recently I
> thought it
> might be useful to post what I have done.

This is great.  Is Equinox a separable download?  I assume it's under
the EPL?

> [...]
>          geronimo-spec-ejb
>          geronimo-spec-j2ee-connector
>          geronimo-spec-j2ee-deployment
>          geronimo-spec-j2ee-jacc
>          geronimo-spec-j2ee-management
>          geronimo-spec-jta
>          geronimo-spec-servlet
>          geronimo-system
>          geronimo-transaction
>
> To make these projects into bundles I added OSGi meta-data into a
> manifest
> file.  This defines the dependencies of the bundle.  As an example
> here is
> the manifest for geronimo-common:
>
>       Manifest-Version: 1.0
>       Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
>       Bundle-Name: geronimo-common
>       Bundle-SymbolicName: geronimo_common
>       Bundle-Version: 1.0.0
>       Bundle-Localization: plugin
>       Import-Package:
>        javax.management,
>        org.apache.geronimo.kernel,
>        org.apache.xmlbeans
>       Export-Package:
>        org.apache.geronimo.common,
>        org.apache.geronimo.common.propertyeditor
>       Bundle-ClassPath: bin/, .
>
> In addition to this I had the OSGi system bundle from Eclipse
> (org.eclipse.osgi) - I just used the latest version from HEAD in the
> Eclipse CVS repository (anonymous pserver access to
> 'dev.eclipse.org:/home/eclipse'), though any version (3.1 or later)
> should
> be ok (binaries of the OSGi framework are available from
> http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/equinox).
>
> Geronimo is dependant on quite a lot of non-Geronimo code (e.g.
> commons-logging, mx4j, etc), and so I grouped all of these jars into a
> single bundle (called 'other') and set up some appropriate meta-
> data for
> it.  I also had to add in 2 more jars to this project - one with
> org.objectweb.asm, and one containing the JSR173 packages.
>
> As I mentioned earlier there were a couple of minor changes to
> Geronimo (in
> geronimo-system).  The first was in
> org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.doStartup().  I was getting a
> failure from some of the code in here because "startup-jar" does not
> contain a manifest.  I'm not sure how this would normally work.  I
> just
> commented out the lines that used the manifest.  The other change
> was to
> the static initializer in
> org.apache.geronimo.system.serverinfo.DirectoryUtils.  It was using a
> JarURLConnection, but running in OSGi, it gets returned a
> BundleURLConnection, so I modified it to use this instead.  Finally
> I added
> a bundle activator to geronimo-system so that the bundle could be
> started.
> This activator simply calls the main() method in Daemon.
>
> Once all this had been done I could start up Geronimo on OSGi
> (using either
> the Eclipse OSGi console or my own launcher program).  I can make

I'm very interested.  We've been talking about OSGi forever it seems
(I think Dain said he's been playing with it...) but it would be nice
to have something tangible for us to play with.  For me, it makes
things more real when I can diddle with it.

Contribution very welcome.  Thanks

geir

geirm@apache.org