geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] PMC to accept DayTrader contribution and/or/not create "application" subproject
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:59:16 GMT
I'm just curious what people expect to happen here.    I'm happy to
go with the flow, but at least want to understand the flow.

DayTrader is an application that is used as a performance tool for
any J2EE server, so it's not Geronimo only. (Contrast that with the
console, as an example.)  It makes little sense to me to tie it to
Geronimo releases no matter what the stability of Geronimo.  We can
use it to measure Geronimo against other servers, and should use it
daily to ensure that we don't regress performance-wise.  To do that,
I think we'd want to have a released version of it, so we could at
compare apples to apples.  The tools can't vary freely and randomly
with the code we're trying to test....   Matt would have a better
perspective, I guess.

Instead of a new subproject, which people seem to find a bad idea for
reasons I don't grok - as it's just out of SVN trunk, has separate
release cycles from G server, and has some mention on the website -
how about at least putting it into devtools?  Can we avoid adding to
the clutter of trunk, something we seemed to support earlier today?

geir

geirm@apache.org