geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare M5 a certified release?
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:47:34 GMT

On Sep 12, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I was wondering about the message we're sending to the user
> community by certifying a milestone release.  (I think its the
> right thing to do by the way).  I believe there is some pent up
> expectation that certification means go for production but my
> opinion is that certifying a milestone is really more of a tech-
> preview.  What are the thoughts on communicating what this means to
> the user community in terms of what should they be doing with
> Geronimo with regard to development, production, etc?

I agree, and am worried about the message myself.  I've always
thought that we should hold certification to 1.0, but at this point,
I think we'd be better served doing it on the milestone because the
fact is that it does work, and if we're clear about setting
expectations ("this is functional J2EE 1.4, but the fact that it's a
milestone means there's still more corners to knock off before
1.0...") we'll probably do ok.

> Also, personally I'd like to make some statement about when we
> would be expecting to deliver 1.0 so the user base can set their
> expectations appropriately.
>
> I think something like M5-Tech Preview contains all J2EE 1.4
> functionality as well as new technology that is not finished such
> as the console, usability improvements, etc.  With a target date
> for V1.0 around the end of October 2005.

Works for me, but I think that we have to be extra careful about that
October date - we should start that discussion about what is a must
have vs nice to have, make a guess on how long that will take, and
then make a realistic estimate about the date.  I think we can have
all sorts of fun if we are targeting 10/31 or 11/1 :)

geir

geirm@apache.org