geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: We need an extension directory.
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:11:04 GMT

On Sep 24, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> Yep...thats the issue.
>
> Trying to clarify, do you mean a full blown "Extension" mechanism as
> in the J2EE spec, or a simpler classpath extension mechanism? No
> preference, just trying to see what the problem and solution are.

What's required to make tomcat work is to have an entry in the system
property java.ext.dirs that is a directory including some of the tck
jars.  I was going to put this extra location into the executable jar
manifest and set it to ${geronimo.home}/lib/ext.  I was also going to
duplicate the various bits of copying and setup that the endorsed dir
gets.  Aside from Tomcat I haven't detected any code that looks at this
property, but I assume that providing the system property will be
sufficient for whatever plain java wants to do.

Does this seem reasonable?

thanks
david jencks